SC - Query re. Lorna Sass book

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jul 30 03:49:55 PDT 1999

Susan P Laing wrote:

> Whilst looking for a supplier for Sass's book "To the King's taste" I found
> reference to another of her books.
>
> Can anyone give a quick review of this and advise if it's worth purchasing??
>
>      Sass, Lorna J.: Christmas Feasts From History ; NY, Met. Museum of Art &
>                 Chalmers CkBks, 1981, Paperback, VG Great American Cooking
> Schools

It's not bad as commercial secondary sources go; my best scenario would
be to pick it up off the remainder table at a discount. There are some
good recipes in it, as well as some [reasonably] well-researched menus,
some relying on heavy speculation, such as her Anglo-Saxon Yule feast. I
like the plum pudding in her Dickensian section.

And yes, of course, not all her work falls in the scope of the SCA, but
then this should only serve as a reminder that Sass, as with Cosman,
McKendry, et al, aren't working with SCA members specifically in mind,
and what we might view as inauthenticity is to them only common sense.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com