SC - copying old documents

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Jul 30 23:05:42 PDT 1999

David/Cariadoc commented:
> One way of getting copies with no damage would be to use a digital camera
> to photograph it. You don't need a flash, since you can use long exposures.

Have you actually tried this? Which digital equipment? Most of the consumer
digital cameras are only just now getting to a 1600 x 1200 resolution. At a
density of 300 dpi that is only a coverage of 5 x 4 inches. I usually scan
on flatbed scanner at 600 dpi and that is often marginal and sometimes
requiring many corrections when doing OCR, expecially with newsprint.

However, if this is just for images that will be interpreted by humans
and not by machine, maybe the higher resolution is not required. Also,
I've usually been working with 10 or 12 pt typefaces. Were period type
faces larger? Or are we talking about handwriting in which case I think
you will have to do it by human interpretation of the images?

Those of you that have put book facsimiles on line, how have you done
it?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: