SC - vermilion/kermes, was Apicius / Kitab al-Tabikh

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Sat Jul 31 11:33:43 PDT 1999

<snip>

>C. Anne Wilson in "The Appetite and the Eye" specifically mentions this
>cookbook and talks of a halwa and a relish recipe. She says vermillion,
>but I don't know if she is depending upon someone elses translations.
>
>She gives a possible reason for using vermillion as well as gold on
>page 18:
<snip>

Hello!  Thank you.  Yes, I read this.  Yes she is working from the same
translation (Arberry).  She notes the Arabs got the idea of eating cinnabar
from the Chinese, who used to eat small quantities in order to achieve
immortality.  She cites another of her papers (The Saracen Connection, part
1) as a reference for this, but I don't have that paper.

So I'm still wondering if 'vermilion' is correct, or whether, like 'blattes
de bysaunce', it is a translation error.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"