SC - references for humoral theory

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 31 14:13:00 PDT 1999

I missed the crest of the discussion regarding the Humors, balancing
diet/menu and theory.  There is one other secondary reference I would
offer to the body of work available:

Huggett, Jane (1995).  _The Mirror of Health: Food, diet and medical
theory 1450-1660_. (Living History Reference Book Series) Stuart Press:
Bristol.  ISBN 1 85804 076 0

She does a fine job in this pamphlet format publication (8.5 x 5.5
softcover like Complete Anachronist) of digesting the concepts for a
beginner's understanding and then goes on to discuss the qualities of
the various meats, fruits, vegetables, seasons, activities, and dietary
treatment of ills.  By no means is this a low level book, just
understandable, and recommendable for those beginning the quest into
humors.  Ms. Huggett uses the primary sources we mentioned earlier in
the thread, and a few more.  I got mine from Acanthus Books, I believe,
and do not know if there be any more available.

pacem et bonum,

niccolo difrancesco