SC - Cooking salted ham

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 05:45:55 PDT 1999

KAPPLERR at swos.navy.mil writes:

<< First off, I have what we call a country ham sitting in the larder begging
 to be used.  >>

Rinse. Cover with water. Simmer for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. You can then
carefully remove it and brown it in the oven but it is just as tasty boiled.
This would be the closest to a period way of fixing it and instructions can
be found in any copy of 'The Boston School of Cookery' or Amish/Pennsylvania
Dutch cookbook as well as various period manuscripts. This was the most
popular way to cook salted hams for centuries up until the water injected
travesties were introduced in the modern era. The addition of 3 or 4 cloves
stuck in a whole onion, a 2 inch piece of cinnamon (cassia) stick and a 8 to
10 black peppercorns will improve the end product remarkably. Enjoy. :-)

Ras