SC - "cabelho" fish recipe?

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Sat Jul 3 06:31:46 PDT 1999

It can be, in Norway and in other parts of the Northern Europe the fish
is named "torsk", in English cod. But I think the "kabeljou" or
"bacalao" it means the dryed fish, the procedure and not the specific
fish.
For all interested in trace the origins of food and what kind of food
are really "multicultural", I can recommend Raymond Sokolov "Why we eat
what we eat", published 1991 by Summit Books.
Greetings
Ana L. Valdés
PS: Next week I am going to a seminar about cultural heritage in
Amsterdam and Maastricht. I can try to find out about the recipes you
named.

Jessica Tiffin skrev:

> Ana L. Valdés said:
>
> > > spices they found in Madagascar and Macao. Their recipes about the dried
> > > fish named "cabelho" are also unique.
> Ooooh, this is fascinating!  When you say "dried fish named cabelho", does
> the name refer to a particular fish species, or to any kind of fish which is
> dried??  There's a stockfish found only off the coast of Southern Africa and
> Madagascar, which is a prime eating fish, and which in Afrikaans is called
> kabeljou, pronounced "cabble-yo".  The name is apparently derived from the
> Old Dutch (according to my housemate's book on S. African fish-species), but
> sounds _very_ similar to the Portuguese.   I'm wondering if there was
> cross-cultural wossname here, and if so, which way??
>
> Jehanne
>
> Jehanne de Huguenin, called Melisant * Jessica Tiffin
>  melisant at iafrica.com * jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za *
> users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
> Seneschal, Shire of Adamestor, Drachenwald (Cape Town, South Africa)
> Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.

- --
http://www.algonet.se/~agora  Hemsida och skyltfönster
http://www.algonet.se/~agora/ada Nättidning för kvinnor och män med
humor