SC - help needed on knightly virtues/Ideals of Chivalry

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Sat Jul 3 15:28:59 PDT 1999

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 Gerekr at aol.com wrote:

> >	Find this book in your local University library, or get the local
> >library to get it via ILL.-
> >	F.J.Furnivall, ed. _Early English Meals and Manners_. London,
> >Early English Text Society, 1868.
>
> Which brings me to... (whimper, whine) anybody know where you can BUY the
> Furnivall for a reasonable price?  Dover hasn't done it, have they? Bet
> they can't because of copyright, but why can't EETS do a paperback
> version for a more reasonable price than $80? (tho it would probably have
> to be in at least 2 volumes... I've seen the 1868 printing recently and
> it was about an inch and a quarter thick!)
>
> Anybody know if EETS is planning to digitize their line so they can print
> to individual orders? (that technology is on the way and this would be a
> perfect application, eh?)

No and no. Unfortunately. But you could do what I did- which is pull it
off the shelf and walk over to the copier and xeroxed the damn thing.
Copying it for my personal use falls under Fair Use and it also means 8
1/2 x 11 pages that I can put into a 3-ring binder, scribble on the pages,
use post-its, what-not. It feels awful to put ten dollars or whatever into
a copier, but it is cheaper than buying the EETS volume, which will not
sty propped open in the kitchan! Most of my period cookbooks are copies in
binders. You can generally do this to ILL orders too.
	A note on digitized texts- there has been a great deal of talk on
ANSAX-NET and Chaucer-Net about this subject, mostly in the 'I'm ordering
books for fall term and X book which I love and alawys use is out of
print!' discussion. Not nearly enough books are under consideration for
this process, and it seems that those that are are scolarly volumes that
will be called for in some quantity 2 or 3 times a year. Much screaming
and yelling from academia, but the industry is driven by the dollar, not
by bibliophiles. There are a few things under consideration for webbing,
but the same applies there- There's the Electronic Beowulf, sections of
Chaucer are on-line, and lots of obscure pieces of text. Nothing
large-scale yet. Things may, of course, change radically in the next 2 to
5 years.

You may want to try poking around on Labyrinth to see what is up right
now-  I don't have the URL on me at the moment, but it is through Georgetown
University, and a search on the word Labyrinth should turn it up quickly.
There are links to an amazing array of texts, and I have used it many
times during my studies.

Bon Chance!

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731