SC - Turkish Breakfast - Suggestions Anyone?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Jul 4 17:50:52 PDT 1999

rdwlist at micronet.net writes:

<< Yogurt? >>

Plain or garlic flavored whole milk yogurt cheese would be a good addition.
The recipe follows.

Yogurt was known as 'Persian Milk.' I have found no evidence of the use of
either the insipid lowfat or over sweet, gummy modern flavored milks in
period.

Stuffed eggs would be a good addition. I posted my redaction for this a while
back and I believe Cariadoc has his redaction at his website have reposted my
recipe below.

Sals
'Yoghourt Cheese with Garlic'

First. Yogurt is filtered and garlic is put in it.
(from 'The Link to the Beloved';  Translated by Charles Perry. A Collection
of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks, Vol. II. Duke Sir Cariadoc of the Bow)

Redaction by al-Sayyid A'aql ibn Rashid al-Zib, AoA, OSyc. Copyright c 1999
L. J. Spencer, Jr. Williamsport, PA.

1 pint Plain wholemilk yogurt
3 lg. cloves Garlic, mashed to a paste
Nigella seed, ground for garnish (optional)*

Line a strainer with 2 layers of cheesecloth. Suspend strainer over a deep
bowl or pot. Dump yogurt into cheesecloth lined strainer. Cover with a cloth
or plastic wrap. Put in a cool place for 12 to 24 hr. to drain.
Discard liquid or use in breadmaking. Put drained yogurt in a bowl Blend in
garlic paste, mixing thoroughly. Leave a few hr. to absorb and develop
flavor. Serve with flat bread. Serves 8.
(NOTE: Serving idea-Mold Sals in a mound in the center of an earthenware
plate covered with a large flatbread. Surround with an overlapping layer of
marinated or plain sliced cucumbers. Sprinkle top with nigella and mount with
a twisted cucumber slice.)
- -----------------------------------------

The Making of Stuffed Eggs

'Take as many eggs as thou wilt and boil them whole in hot water, put them in
cold water and divide them in half with a thread. Take the yolks asise and
crush cilantro, put in onion juice, pepper, and coriander and beat all this
together with murri, oil, and salt and mash the yolks with this until it
becomes a paste. Then stuff the whites with this and fasten it together,
insert a small stick into each egg and sprinkle them with pepper, God willing.
Redaction by al-Sayyid A'aql ibn Rashid al-Zib, AoA, OSyc
Copyright c 1999 L. J. Spencer, Jr. Williamsport, PA

12 Eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
1 T. Cilantro, mashed
1 tsp. Onion juice
3/8 tsp. Black pepper, ground
1/2 tsp. Coriander seed, ground
1 tsp. Byzantine murri naqi
1 T Olive oil (or more)
Salt to taste
12 round Toothpicks
Black pepper, ground for garnish

Cut eggs in half, removing yolks which are placed in a separate bowl.
Beat cilantro, onion juice, murri and olive oil together. Add salt to taste.
Add yolks, mashing mixture until it forms a smooth paste, adding more oil as
needed.Stuff yolk mixture into each egg half. Secure halves together with a
toothpick. Sprinkle lightly with pepper