SC - Hummus and Other Questionably Period Foods

Michelle "TJ" Brunzie mbrunzie at dba-sw.com
Mon Jul 5 07:05:42 PDT 1999

> His Grace has done extensive research into this area and will most likely
> agree with me regarding the hummus issue. If you have documented PERIOD
> sources that prove me wrong, I would be happy to add them to my
> collection. I
> would love to be able to add hummus to my period recipe database.
>
> Ras

Though on the topic of hummus, tomatoes, and paprika preventing modern
Middle Eastern cuisine from being an adequate substitute for true "period"
dishes, is there a webpage or some other easily accessible resource which
offers a comprehensive listing of which foods *are* period?  I noticed
on Rialto and SCA-Cooks that questions keep coming up - oatmeal,
tomatoes, bananas, ad infinitum - and it would be really handy if there
was a webpage we could check *before* we asked.

Violente de San Sebastiano de la Frontera
"If you could do anything in the world...would you?"