SC - CA13 and bath feasts

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Jul 5 21:03:33 PDT 1999

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Gryphon's Moon wrote:

> It's my understanding that CA #13 was pulled _not_ because of its
> subject matter, but because large portions of it were plagiarized
> from other sources.
>
> -Margritte

I believe that this is wrong.  We got ours in the first mailing, there was
a terrible stink about the SCA "losing it's non-profit status" for mailing
pornography through the US Post Office (several people filed complaints
with the PO) and not only was the issue pulled but the CA editor was
dumped.

Back to bathing and feasting...

This picture, or another like it, is also in The History of Private Life.
Actually, I have seen several similar ones, both painting and woodcuts.
Bathing seemed often to be a communal activity.  Wearing hats seems to be
de rigeur - as it also was for sleeping - and being fed and entertained
"en tub" also seems a common theme.

As to actually doing a hot tub feast, I think not.

Elaina