SC - Good Herbs to Have?

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 21:47:40 PDT 1999

Susan.P.Laing at mainroads.qld.gov.au writes:

<< I'd like suggestions on what are the most useful/essential herbs to grow
(I've
 already got Sage & Bay)

 Many thanks!

 Mari de Paxford

	To some extent it will depend on which times and countries foods you
most often prepare. Parsley would be a good one to add, no matter what. But
you can largely ignore cilantro if you concentrate on Western Europe;
however, hyssop would be useful in that instance, as would dill. *I* would
add rosemary and basil, come what may, but I've only seen a few recipes with
basil in period. Silly people......... ;-) Thyme is another standard, and
marjoram was popular, too. Fennel would be good, but I've seen the seeds used
more than the fronds, so it could be considered marginal.
	That's a start, at least..... I'm sure more folks will have their own
preferences to add, as well.

		Ldy "There's-never-enough-basil!" Diana