SC - Cheesy Question

Schumacher, Deborah (AZ15) Deborah.Schumacher at iac.honeywell.com
Wed Jul 7 07:40:03 PDT 1999

>From the Florilegium files. You can link  reach it from this link
http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/files/cheese-msg.html
<http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/files/cheese-msg.html>

Zoe

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:13:46 -0500From: Brian Songy bxs3829 at usl.edu
<mailto:bxs3829 at usl.edu>
Subject: SC - cheese
I've lurked here for several months on the sca-cooks list, not out
ofshyness, but out of a feeling that I had little to contribute - - I'm
verynew to the SCA. But this week, I decided that I would put forth a
besteffort to come-up with something of interest, even if it was based
uponsecondary sources (like the internet). Therefore I present, for your
entertainment, criticism, amusement and use the following chart of cheeses

:Type of Cheese Date of Earliest Reference Reference
Feta {1184BC} [1]
Sbrinz 			"...Roman times..." [6]
Romano 			"...since the time of Christ..." [6]
Cantal 			"...to the time of the Gauls..." [6]
Munster 			8th Century [6]
Gorgonzola 		879AD/11th century [1], [6]
Roquefort 		1070AD/"was the favorite cheese [1], [6]
				Of Charlemagne and King Charles VI"
Wensleydale 	{1150AD} [4]
Grana 			1200AD/13th Century [1], [6]
Fontina 13th Century; "favorite of the [6] Duke of Savoy"
Beaufort 		{1267AD} [2]
Emmental(aka "Swiss") {1267AD} [2]
Comte 			{1267AD} [2]
Cheddar			1500AD [1]
Parmesan 		1579AD/{1200AD-1300AD} [1], [3]
Gouda 			1697AD [1]
Gloucester 		1697AD [1]
Stilton 			1785AD [1]
Camembert 		1791AD [1], [5]

{} signifies I consider that the date is dubious./ two dates
reportedSources:[1] http://www.efr.hw.ac.uk/SDA/book1.html[2]
http://www.franceway.com/cheese/history.htm[3]
http://www.parmigiano-reggiano.it/estoria.htm[4]
http://www.wensleydale-creamery.co.uk/history.htm[5]