SC - Re: "cruel food"

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 07:56:19 PDT 1999

- --- LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/6/99 6:51:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> agora at algonet.se
> writes:
>
> << There is all, from Raccoon Stew
>  (USA) to Fried Cockchafer Grubs, France. >>
>
> Have the Raccoon Stew recipe but a quick glance at my 'Dining with
> Insects'
> did not turn up Fried Cockchafer Grubs. :-( <pout>
>
> BTW, Ana, in case someone hasn't told you already I collect unusual
> recipes.
> My current favorite unusual recipe is Deep Fried Honeybee Larvae.'
> YUMMY!!!!
>
> Ras

Ras --

Got anything on Squirrel Brains?  I remember reading on the Web --
several months ago, I was looking up hunting regs in PA and ran across
this under Small Game -- there was a warning about Mad Squirrel Disease
(I kid you not).  Apparently there is a tradition (mostly in the
southern U.S.) that squirrel brains are a delicacy, eaten raw, before
you throw the rest of the thing into the stew pot.  Recently there has
been some concern about people (only a few) developing something
similar and probably related somehow to the Mad Cow disease from G.B. a
couple of years ago.  The U.S. wildlife Service or whoever was still
trying to confirm exactly what it was and where it came from, but in
the mean time, DO NOT eat raw squirrel brains, they don't know how far
the problem has spread.

The government rep writing the warning said he could only tell the guy
who asked if he was in danger because he had drunk a whole squirrel
shake (whole squirrel in blender, process until drinkable?) that if he
hadn't already developed symptoms, he'd probably be okay -- I kind of
thought it might be hard to tell if this guy was acting a little more
funny than usual.

PA Game Commission Cookbook on the site lists the following recipes:
Bear Marinade, Braised Rabbit, Deer Loin Wellington, Fresh Venison
Sausage, Fried Squirrel, Grilled Goose Breast, Hindquarter of Venison,
Sigrid's Game Bird Feast.  Ras, do you have these? Anyone else want
them?  Tell me which, and I'll copy them to the list.

- -- Harriet