SC - Horsemeat, was Re: "cruel food"-

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 13:33:53 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/7/1999 12:39:51 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
nannar at isholf.is writes:

<< They are our trusted friends and companions, our pride and joy,
 we write poems about them, some of us spend half our life on horseback. And
 yes, we eat them. Maybe that is the Viking mentality ... >>

It is very possible.  I think it is also related to environmental factors,
like what is availible to eat in the region.  Here you can get lost in the
wilderness, and still have plenty of food availible, especially meat, because
of the profusion of wild game.  And the amount of wild game is not even close
to what it was in the 18th and 19th centuries.

<<The meat of a young horse or foal is rather similar to beef but even leaner.
Some people describe it as having a sligthly sweet taste. If someone served
it to you and told you it was beef, you probably wouldn´t know it was not.>>

This sounds like what I said the last time someone asked me to describe what
elk tastes like. :->  Its always hard whan you have to try to go off of what
you know someone knows.. . .

If you ever make it here I can treat you to bison and if I ever make it to
Iceland I'll want to try some horse. . .

Noemi
armchair anthropologist and political scientist. . .
Outlands
Cheyenne, Wyoming