SC - Verjuice

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Thu Jul 8 12:16:16 PDT 1999

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu writes:
> << The funny thing is the Nutrition
>  Information on the side- the numbers are based on an 8 oz portion. Linda
>  remarked that she doesn't know anyone who would willingly drink a glass of
>  the stuff...

> Why? Sounds like a story....:-)

Not really. Just the idea of drinking it like regular juice, or like I put
away juice (ALOT!) makes me shudder.

Does remind me of a story though- several years ago (7?8?) at a Ducal War,
Duke James Greyhelm showed up with an army, rather upsetting the planned
kettle of D.Gunnar vs. D. Tjorkill. As there had been jokes in the copy
about eating rattan, James brought a small jar of pickled rattan shoots-
not bamboo, rattan. But James had to leave before final court, so one of
the knights fighting with him, Sir Paul of Somerton, got to present the
jar to Gunnar and Tjorkill. They were (understandably) wary and suggested
that he eat some first. Being game and on the spot, he pulled one out and
popped it in his mouth, smiled wide and said "Yummy!" (He said later it
tasted like...pickled rattan. Vile.) He passed the jar to Tjorkill, who
grabbled one, chomped, and fixed Paul with a "you sonofa..." before
turning to the crowd and Gunnar with a grin and a "Hey! This is really
good!" (born actor). So Gunnar pulls a piece out, sticks it in his mouth,
gets the 'I've been had' look on his face, yells "Puwah!" and spits it
out. The crowd loved it and Paul and Tjorkill had a good laugh. Too bad
James missed it. But then, they would've just had to kill him...

Why is it the 'old days' are best when they're gone?...

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731