SC - Re: horse recipe 1581 and the tabou of the horseeating

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Thu Jul 8 18:25:31 PDT 1999

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir skrev:

> Thomas wrote:
> >Someone asked whether horsemeat was period. At least there is a recipe
> >for wild horse in the German cookbook of Marx Rumpolt 1581 [see:
> >http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_Rumpolt1.htm]. Gwen-Cat, Lord Ras and
> >myself had some discussion about this recipe in march.

In my book, "Betes a Manger, Usages Alimentaires des Francais", it is a
chapter about th evolution of the horseeating. "In the First Centuries
of Christianity it was prohibited to eat horse. The "Feast of the
Horse", a kind of heretical comunion, was practicated by the Asian
barbars (mongols?).
The Pope Gregorius III tells Boniface, the Evangelist of the Germans:
"Tell them to don´t eat horses and impose severe punishments to who does
it, because they are mean and evil."
But in France the horse is eaten in regular basis, in stores called
"chevalines". My book states the horse have a very important place in
the construction of the warrior and the feodal society. Without horses
no knights.

Yours
Ana L. Valdés

- --