SC - tagine?

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Jul 15 05:14:27 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 15 Jul 99,, that Stefan li Rous wrote:

> This is too bad. There was a discussion a while ago about medieval stews.
> There was a statment made by Master Cariadoc, I believe, that he knew of
> no medieval stew that combined both meat and vegetables.

With the exception of onions, which seemed to fall into the category of
herbs for flavoring the meat.  I posted a 1599 recipe for Olla Podrida
which contains a large assortment of meats and poultry, plus garbanzo
beans, onions, turnips, and cabbage.  Aside from being just barely
period (nouvelle cuisine, as His Grace would say), it is unlike anything
else in the pre-17th century Spanish recipes, and should probably be
considered the first appearance of a modern-style dish.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann