SC - cookery books

Sun Jul 18 14:31:31 PDT 1999

> Phillipa
> PS  How can you tell if a book is any good? For example, the booklet:
> _Pilgrim Recipes_ says to put a roasted meat dish on a bed of lettuce.
> They
> had lettuce?  Elsewhere in the book they mention brown sugar.  Brown sugar
>
> was invented??

Romaine lettuce was eaten by the Greeks and Romans.  It is also known as cos
or cos lettuce form the island of Cos (or Kos) where it was cultivated.

The process of crystallizing sugar from molasses extracted from cane is very
old, but it is a manufacturing process, so I would say invented probably
works.  Refining brown sugar to white sugar predates the SCA period.  We've
become so good at refining sugar that most US brown sugar is white sugar
that has had molasses re-introduced into the sugar.

Check out the Florilegium for some of the past commentary on lettuce and
sugar, it should have made it in by now.

Bear