SC - Fwd: Ovens

Sun Jul 18 20:15:05 PDT 1999

> oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:
>
> << The bread, of course, had soot and such on the bottom crust, which
> would
> be
>  perfectly okay for period, >>
>
> The bottoms of the ovens would have been cleaned out with a brush used for
>
> that purpose, most likely. I doubt that soot and embers all over the bread
>
> would have been any more 'perfectly okay for period' than it would be OK
> for
> the Current middle ages. What lead you to that conclusion?
>
> Ras

Single chamber ovens are often swabbed just before loading the bread.  It
cleans out a lot of the large particles of ash and moistens the oven to
improve the crust.

Modernly, it is common to use coarse corn meal to keep the dough from
sticking to the peel or the oven.  I suspect coarse meal of barley or millet
was used in period for the same purpose

Bear