SC - danish recipes from 1300

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Tue Jul 20 17:06:17 PDT 1999

Thanks a lot Brighid/Robin,

sigh: I have the Lambert-volume on my shelfes but up to now I did not
read the Skaarup-article. Thanks for your time! Your contribution is
very important for me.

It seems indeed -- according to Skaarup -- that there is no extant
German version of the Harpestraeng-collection at all. But even the
question of an _assumed_ low German text/translation is interesting
enough because most of the German cookbooks up to 1500 are from
_southern_ Germany (only exception: the text edited by Wiswe).
Discussing possible influences on the 'Rheinfraenkisches Kochbuch'
(about 1445) I was told that one can forget about a low German tradition
of cookbooks. It is important to hear that there _might_ have been such
a tradition. In any case I must look for the Grewe-article (1986) and
the Kristensen-edition of Harpestraeng (1908-20). Both are not easy to
get here in the south of Germany, though my libraries are very good.

Anyway: I would be interested too to hear if the Grewe/Hieatt-project is
still in the works?

Thanks again,
Thomas