SC - A weird conversion.....Now OT

Wed Jul 21 19:29:29 PDT 1999

U.S. liquid measures are based on the British wine gallon of 231 cubic
inches and 128 ounces.  This was the standard British measure until 1825
when Great Britain fixed the gallon as 10 pounds of water at 62 degrees F
and introduced Imperial measures.

The U.S. bushel is based on the Winchester bushel of 60 pounds.

U.S. measures are essentially based on standards used in medieval England,
which were replaced by the Imperial measures.  Of course there are some
problems with the standardness of the old standards.

Bear