SC - Real feasts?

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 26 11:51:38 PDT 1999

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/26/99 1:00:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
> writes:
>
> << The fact that forks were not used in
>  most cultures as eating utensils. >>
> Is the use of forks typical for feast goers in you area? I seldom if ever see
> them being used here. Knives, spoons and fingers, yes. Forks, no.

The Italians had and used them occasionally from the 14th c. Otherwise
they were kitchen utensils, not tableware.

I have a 'threek' that I use occasionally, but mostly just a spoon and
knife. Forks don't bother me as much as looking up to see some Tudor or
Viking with a pair of chopsticks, Just jarring.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731