SC - medieval faires

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 13:11:52 PDT 1999

<< And it cost 50 dollars per person, a real theft, my friends!

 Ana, disappointed >>

<My sympathies, m'lady. This is not only a problem there but a problem
here. I went to a feast several years ago at a commercial 'Medieval
Castle' and was  served baked potatoes and roasted tomatoes among other
things. At a Renfaire the supposed feast was equally obnoxious with
corn, potatoes and tomatoes appearing in the skimpy overpriced
offering. >

Ah, yes -- Ye Olde Turkey Legges, Kris-Kut Fryes (with Cheese Sauce,
yet), Shepard's Pies (with mashed potaoes and a slice of American
Cheese) -- such were the offerrings at the Medieval Faire I went to
yesterday.  Actually, the food we had was not bad, and no more
outrageously priced than typical fair food -- just not in the least
medieval.  Which, actually, is how I came to be on this list; I went
last year with a friend, and while it was all great fun, and the turkey
leg we knawed on was actually a good deal better than most greasy
sandwiches, I was pretty sure turkey was New World.  It bothered me
enough to research it, which lead me all sorts of interesting places on
the web -- including here!

And now look what you all have done!  This year, I couldn't help but
look around saying "Yeah, right, medieval fajitas - new world; medieval
funnel cakes - no baking soda; medieval gyros - not likely.  Did anyone
on the list ever find a good Greek food reference?  Medieval ostrich
burgers?  I don't THINK so!  King Richard didn't exactly have a lot of
contact with Australian!"  Needless to say, it is much less certain
that I will be invited to go with the same group again next year!

- -- Harriet