SC - Real feasts?

margali margalicuskynolles at 99main.com
Mon Jul 26 15:08:10 PDT 1999

Not to mention the little planting and harvest day meals
provided by law to the field workers [and illustrated so
well in the flemish paintings, especially the one with the
people carrying what looks like a door out of its frame
loaded with food...] Those were something along the lines of
a specific amount of bread of a specific type, and a
specific amount of beer/ale per person and other foods
mandated by law...IIRC those were mentioned in both "fast
and food" and "through a mirror darkly" [or what ever the
Barbera Tuchman book is...]

Those are very like our idea of dayboards, not the ohmygod
foods for the lords, but the basic hearty
bread/cheese/sausagy things we do for dayboards [anybody
want to throw a chicken through the crook of their arm for
distance? sounds like a great game to me....]
margali

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Granted such feasts were done occasionally but they were no more typical of
> period noble eating patterns than a 10,000 dollar a plate gala is typical of
> modern feasts for the wealthy. Don't misunderstand me, I think it would be
> great to attend or participate in a period celebratory feast and I agree that
> such a feast would be the event itself. But these feasts were done for very
> special occasions and not indicative of a typical medieval feast. They
> certainly were not any more real.
>
> Ras

- --
To respond, take out the word "cuskynoles"