SC - Fish soup/stew

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 17:23:54 PDT 1999

- --- Nanna_Rögnvaldardóttir <nannar at isholf.is> wrote:
> Huette wrote:
> >>I dont know if
> >> it was the case of Norway and Iceland.
> >>
> >No, not really.  The Swedish vikings (The Rus) went
> >east into central Europe and Russia to Byzantium,
> >where they comprised the Verangian Guard. The Norse
> >vikings went west to England, Iceland, Greenland
> and
> >North America, with a stop-over in Normandy.  The
> >Danish vikings raided Germany and the Baltic
> >coastline, Norway and England.
>

> When you say Norse, do you mean Norwegian? How IS
> the term Norse really used
> in English? In Icelandic (and old Icelandic, or old
> Norse, if you will), the
> term "norrænn" covers all the Scandinavian countries
> except Finland, in
> addition to Iceland, Greenland, the Faroe Islands,
> and the settlements in
> the British Isles; the term "norræn tunga" (the
> Norse language) covers not
> just the western Scandinavian dialects, but any
> Scandinavian Germanic
> dialect. I thought the term Norse covered the same
> fields but maybe I´m
> wrong there.
>
> Nanna

As far as I know, in English, Norse can mean both
the language [old Norse] and the people who populated
the area of Norway during the Dark Ages/Early Middle
Ages.  If I am not mistaken, the term "Norwegian"
came after they were Christianized and that the
Vikings from Norway always called themselves the
Norse, not Norwegian until after the 12th century. If
I remember correctly, the Danes called themselves
"Dane" not "Norse" and the Swedes called themselves
"Svear"
[and perhaps "Rus"], which was turned into "Swede" by
the English.

Huette