SC - Big birds on the medieval plate

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 28 19:57:43 PDT 1999

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir wrote:

> Few people would have had any scruples about eating
> the latter bird; it is a big bastard that destroys fields, and its croak is
> very annoying.

There's a marvellous story by P. G. Wodehouse (I think it's "Jeeves and
the Impending Doom") which features the narrator and a rather stuffy
Cabinet Minister trapped on a gazebo rooftop by an angry, nesting swan.
The narrator refers specifically to the swan's nasty facial expression,
how her eyebrows meet in the middle in the most menacing manner, and
speaks of the swan unwinding another thirty or forty feet of neck like a
firehose, making sounds like gas explosions.

Perhaps Wodehouse has been in Iceland?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy