SC - fishiness

Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com
Thu Jul 29 05:27:02 PDT 1999

<<is this why snails are milk-fed before cooked to become escargot? >>
When I lived in California, snails were a big garden pest--not native ones,
but true escargots brought in by French prospectors in the Gold Rush days.
A woman made it into the San Jose Mercury News because she was harvesting
them off of people's lawns, feeding them a controlled diet for a couple of
weeks before cooking them.  Basically, she dropped them into a bucket of
cornmeal mush if I remember correctly (OH so THAT's what IIRC means :) )
It's supposed to clean their system of potentially nasty tasting or even
toxic stuff they'd been eating, as well as improve the flavor.  My husband
has done this with fresh-water mussels.

Emme
PS Thanks Adamantius <blush>