SC - Real feasts?

Rayne and Richard PRIDEelectric at centuryinter.net
Sat Jul 31 14:51:07 PDT 1999

This was merely an example in a humorous "period" or OPP context, BUT I have served
such a dish at a private dinner party many years ago in Germany.

To clarify:  As a birthday party "surprise" we baked an empty pie shell (filled with
beans to keep shape) and a separate "lid".  The owner of the home (where the party
was held) had two white "lovebirds" who's wings were NOT clipped.  We allowed the
crust to cool completely.  Then, right before we brought in the Pie, we gently
placed the birds inside the crust.  We had previously cut four large "airhole" X's
in the lid.  We set lid on the pie and carried it in.  While singing "...blackbirds
baked in a pie" we pretended to cut the lid around the pie (knife never entered the
pie!).   We then lifted the lid, the birds flew out to their regular roost (top of
the curtains) and we all exclaimed that the birds were a few 20 short and had
changed color.  Everyone loved it.  As the birds were regular taken to the Vet for
check ups in a shoe box (filled with holes) they did not seem to mind the closed
area for the whole 1 minute they were in it.  Now luckily the birds were very well
trained and the owner did magic tricks with them all the time at children shows.

I would probably NOT try this at an event.  The birds could be upset at a great deal
of noise, an unfamiliar place, being confined for any length of time, etc.  Plus the
crowd might not like birds flying about while they try to eat.

Rayne