SC - bone soup

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 2 03:44:20 PDT 1999

<breaking the bone will let the marrow out faster giving more gelatin
(and also more impurities) to the stock.  get rid of the impurities by
keeping the stock at a _low_ simmer and skimming off teh scum as it
forms,  a hight boil will incorporate the impurities into the stock.
these impurities are merely non soluable proteins and give the stock a
cloudy look, nothing harmful.>

This reminds me of a scene from the movie "Tampopo" (aka "Dandelion" or
"The Noodle Shop").  The main character has a hard time getting her stock
right, and the cloudy result of accidentally boiling her stock leads to
quite a violent outburst!
A great cooking flick, and the only truly funny Japanese film I've ever
seen.
Christianna