SC - Fwd: Expiration Date Codes for Food OP

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Thu Jun 3 04:17:27 PDT 1999

Adamantius writes:
The most common usage I've heard for the term "food grade" seems to
refer to plastics that are heat resistant and less porous than some
others, which aren't food grade.

and Raoghnailt writes:
It also applies to non-food items like plastic bags and containers.
This is why you should never use garbage bags for anything else.

Anne-Marie writes:
as far as I know, "food grade" means a substance made in compliance with
the regs for foodstuffs, ie no wierd extracting processes, the facilities
needs to be up to spec, cant have sprayed the plants with certain
chemicals, etc.

	This is more what I had in mind.  I have several examples on the shelves
at work.  Rosewater, for example, is sold as Food Grade and For External
Use only.  We have a Coconut Oil that is sold in the Health and Beauty
section, but is considered by the company that manufactures it (Spectrum)
as Food Grade.  (However, they process it with Hexane, a solvent that
many Health Food Store customers wish to avoid, but that is another issue
all together.)  We have essential oils and massage oils (grape seed oil,
avacado oil) that are sold as Food Grade, and some that are external use
only.  Another term I hear a lot of is Food Grade Hydrogen Pyroxide.
	I understand the plastics designation, but I think there are definate
food applications as well.  I would really like to get my hands on the
actual (? law? guidelines? regulations?) to quote.  My encyclopedia
directs me to the Pure Food Laws of 1909 and the Food and Cosmetics Act
of  1939.   I wonder if the FDA or the Dept. of Agriculture web sites
would tell me, hmmm...
	Christianna