SC - Pennsic Food

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat Jun 5 14:02:13 PDT 1999

After doing some digging, I think your friend may be referring to the Grotte
d' Enlene, a Magdalenian culture site in the French Pyrenees.  The site was
worked heavily in the 80's by Jean Clottes (now the French Minister of
Antiquities), Robert Begouen (curator of the Volp caves, including Enlene,
in Ariege), Jean Pierre Giraud, and Francois Rouzoud.

I did not find the honey gatherer in my references, but the copulating
couple showed up in a recent book on Lascaux.  That and the timing make me
think the painting requested is at Enlene.  I'd check the Reader's Guide to
Periodical Literature to see if I could find the original magazine article.

There is also a cave drawing from one of the Spanish sites of two men
removing honeycomb from a bee cave.  Unfortunately, I haven't located this
one either.

Bear