SC - OT-Lady in Waiting

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Jun 8 21:48:12 PDT 1999

- -Poster Elysant <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

With all of this talk on chickens and eggs, I wonder what breeds of chickens they
had in the Middle Ages (ancestors of RI Reds?, Leghorns perhaps?)?  Also, I
wonder if it states whether eggs with brown or white (or other colour) shells
were used in any of the period recipes members of the list are acquainted with?
Sorry if this has been discussed already, I have a vague recollection that bits
of it might have been.

I also note that when I have made my Welsh Cakes recipe, I have to use medium not
large eggs, as large throws off the balance of the rest of the ingredients.  So I
wonder than if this has been found to happen with other recipes from period?  I'm
taking it that eggs were probably smaller than today's large or xlarge in the
past or am I wrong there?

Elysant