Fwd: SC - Jerky - OOP or...?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 9 04:43:30 PDT 1999

I sent this question, about the periodicity, or not, for Western Europe,
800-1500, of flavored dried meat in forms similar to what we would
currently call "jerky" and never saw any response... so, since I'm still
interested, I thought I'd try again, 8-)...
Chimene
- ---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------
Date:        04/13  11:37 AM

Seeing the "Sex-wine" jerky recipe go by, again, prompts me to wonder if
there
is any period reference to -complexly flavored- dried meat?

And am I correct that unflavored (air?-)drying and (dry) salt drying
- -were-
techniques used to prepare meat for storage in period?

Also we have "complexly flavored" spiced brine (Lord's salt); do I assume
correctly that plain brine was also used?  (since I have a serious
vinegar sensitivity to deal with, Lord's salt is absolutely out of the
running at my house...)

Thanks,
Chimene