SC - Bhuna Prawn and Puri

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Thu Jun 10 17:06:51 PDT 1999

I found the email that helped me immensely.  It is from Alys
Katherine.  Wonderful woman that she is, I hope she does not mind me
repeating it.<br>
Comments: I’ve made the items above and some of them were the very
dickens to work with. I found that if I used waxed paper to line the
“mold”, I could then remove the paste with little problem. <br>
Hint: For round items, like a bowl or plate, you will need to cut
diagonal lines <br>
in towards the center so the paper folds into a round shape rather than
wrinkling into one. This is also how I molded the goblet “bowl”. For the
stem, I used a dowel rod as an armature and wrapped the paste around it.
When the cup part and stem part were dry, I attached them using egg white
and more sugar paste. I covered the join with a snake of paste, poked a
pretty design into it, and then let that dry.  <br>
More comments: You may need to experiment to find the ideal thickness
(thinness) of the paste. One of my apprentices made a paper-thin bowl
which I was to take and show off. Unfortunately, being so thin, it easily
absorbed moisture from the air and began to sag after a number of days,
losing its bowl shape. However, if the paste is too thick it will look
clumsy. <br>
For a plate: I rolled out the paste to the desired thinness and laid a
template on top. Then I cut around the template. Be careful... A sawing
motion will stretch the paste and make the end result lopsided. I laid
the paste onto the waxed paper on my plate-mold and fiddled with the
edges to give the shape I wanted. You will find that cutting the paste
will probably result in some roughness on the edge. You will need to
decide how you want to cover up (or smooth out) that roughness.
After the paste has begun to dry well enough, and will keep its shape, I
remove it and let it finish air drying. After a day or two, I take off
the waxed paper, turn it upside down, and let that part finish drying.
Problems: If the plate or bowl is fairly curvy, you will need to be sure
that the weight of the paste doesn’t slowly flatten it out as it finishes
drying. Laying it upside down over another bowl can <br>
help.  Does this give you any ideas? <br>
Alys Katharine <br>
==<br>
<BR>