SC - another- Bhuna Prawn and Puri

Rayne and Richard PRIDEelectric at centuryinter.net
Thu Jun 10 22:57:07 PDT 1999

> Can someone assist me?  I'm trying to find a recipe for an Indian dish
> I first had in Britain a couple of years ago.
>
> "Bhuna Prawn and Puri"
>
> I'm thinking that perhaps Bhuna is perhaps a certain type of prawn?
> Puri is the sauce they are served in.  It's a fiery yet sweet sauce with
> a red colour and is quite delicious.
>
> The dish was served as an appetiser.
>
> Elysant

Perhaps this recipe maybe close:  Yours,  Rayne

Prawns and Curry

    24 large sized prawns -- (700 g)
    300 milliliters tinned or fresh coconut milk
    2 stalks lemon grass -- (2 to 3)
    18 cm cinnamon
    6 cloves
    4 tablespoons oil -- (60 ml)
    1 teaspoon turmeric powder -- (5 g)
    6 flakes -- (12 g) garlic, -- sliced fine
    6 spring onions -- chopped
    4 red chillies -- shredded
    10 curry leaves -- (optional)
    salt to taste
    a few fresh basil leaves -- chopped for -- garnishing

    CLEAN, shell and devein the prawns. Wash them thoroughly and dry them.
    Heat the coconut milk, the lemon grass, cinnamon and cloves in a small
    non-stick saucepan. Bring it to a boil and continue to simmer for 10
    minutes on low heat till slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
    Heat the oil in a large wok. Add the turmeric powder and fry for just a
    few seconds, until it turns a little darker. Add a tablespoonful of
    water.

    When it starts sizzling, add the garlic and stir-fry for half a minute.
    Add the onions and red chillies and fry well. Add the prawns and keep
    on stirring until they turn pink. Add the curry leaves and transfer
    this mixture to the saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring
    occasionally, gradually adding a little water should it thicken too
    much. Remove and discard the lemon grass. Add salt to taste. Garnish
    with basil leaves and serve with plain rice.