SC - Bhuna Prawn and Puri

lilinah@grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Fri Jun 11 01:08:07 PDT 1999

>>From Rayne (again)  I just found this recipe.  Maybe it is closer....
>
>FIERY SHRIMP CURRY
>Yield: 4 servings
>
>      2    Lemon grass stalks; -OR- 2 ts -Lemon zest
>      2    Shallots; minced
>      3    Garlic cloves; minced
>      2 ts Fresh ginger, grated
>      2 ts Coriander seeds
>      6    Yellow or green chilies -(minced)
>    1/2 c  Fresh kaffir lime leaves -(minced),  -OR- 1 ts -Lime zest
>      1 ts Honey
>    1/2 c  Unsweetened coconut milk
>      1 lb Shrimp; peeled
>      2 ts Canola oil
>    1/2 c  Lime juice
>    1/4 c  Mirin or white wine
>    1/2 ts Salt

<snip>

Hmmm, given the lemon grass and the kaffir lime leaves, this looks Thai.
But neither rice wine/white wine nor honey are used much in South or
Southeast Asian cooking. In Southeast Asia, at least, honey is a rarity and
used medicinally. They use cane or palm sugar in cooking in Thailand,
Malaysia, and Indonesia.

Whatever, this doesn't look very Indian to me.

Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi