SC - (OT) food for ill kids

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 11 12:28:18 PDT 1999

Greetings!  Someone mentioned using gumtex for sugar paste and I wanted
to clarify matters for folk who haven't worked with the stuff.  Gumtex
is a brandname for the strengthening gum used in modern gum paste
(sugar paste).  It's the modern equivalent of gum tragacanth.  It is of
a slightly pinker cast than gum tragacanth, and is usually gum karaya.
It's much cheaper than tragacanth, but for taste, the period recipe
with tragacanth is nicer, and is also much whiter.  The packaged stuff
to which one just adds water for "instant" gum paste is not Gumtex.
Gumtex is one of several ingredients (powdered sugar, glucose, egg
white) that make up a modern gum paste mixture.  You buy the Gumtex and
the glucose separately and mix everything together.  Recipe is on the
Gumtex container.

The package I use (and seems to be the cheapest) is called "gum paste
mix" and is made by CK Productus, Fort Wayne, IN 46825.  The number on
the package is 77-201.  The ingredients are confectioners' sugar, egg
albumen, dry corn syrup solids, cornstarch, and vegetable gums.  There
is a recipe on the package (which I generally ignore since I make up
the whole package at one time).  My cake decorating store sells the one
pound package for $2.29.  Hope this clarifies!

Alys Katharine, home two hours on summer break and I've already taken a
one hour nap!