SC - Freezing barley

MsGreyPaws@aol.com MsGreyPaws at aol.com
Fri Jun 11 20:39:34 PDT 1999

david friedman wrote:

> I raise the point because several of your recipes are from Markham, whose
> book was published, as best I recall, in the second half of the seventeenth
> century.

Markham's "The English Hus-Wife" was published in 1615, and was the
subject of a successful plagiarism suit from another publisher. The
question wasn't whether Markham lifted material from other authors
(although he seems to have done so, one being Villanova) but whether
Markham could keep recycling his own previous works under new titles and
earn additional money for other publishers and himself. This would
indicate that while all of the material from TEH is from prior to 1615,
some of it may be from well before that, and very possibly before 1601.

Of course, there's the question of the SCA-specific-value of things
taught by the works that might have been period, versus the ones that
clearly are, but we don't necessarily need to get into that here and now.

Markham is, though, rather closer to the tail end of "period", both in
chronology and in style, than, say, Digby.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com