SC - redacting? help with words

Rayne and Richard PRIDEelectric at centuryinter.net
Sun Jun 13 21:20:51 PDT 1999

I've been reading, although rathr randomly, "Fast and Feast" by
Bridget Ann Henisch.

In there, on page 45, is a description of the Lenten egg soteltie
which I believe has been discussed here before.

Mock Egg

Blanched, ground almonds were simmered in boiling water, then the
liquid was drained away and the soft puree sweetened with sugar and
divided into two parts. One was left white and the other colored
yellow with saffron, ginger and cinnamon. After this, the contents
of a real egg were blown out, and the shell washed in warm water. It
was then stuffed with the white and yellow almond mixture, roasted
in the ashes, and served up in triumph as a hardcooked egg.

The footnote says: "A Noble Boke of Cookry" p 47.

This sounds interesting. My question is what keeps these two colored
egg mixtures from mixing? I would think you would get a swirl of
yellow and white, not something that looked like a hardboiled egg.

Also, I assume in a modern kitchen you would bake these. Any guess at
what a good temperature and time would be? 125 degrees? 350 degrees?
You want the almond paste to solidify, but not so fast you burst the
egg shell.

Has anyone made these?

Thanks.
   Stefan