SC - Fwd: [SCA-dist2] Policy sent to the BoD (fwd)

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jun 17 14:32:04 PDT 1999

>-Poster: Elysant <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>
>
>Can someone assist me?  I'm trying to find a recipe for an Indian dish
>I first had in Britain a couple of years ago.
>
>"Bhuna Prawn and Puri"
>
>I'm thinking that perhaps Bhuna is perhaps a certain type of prawn?
>Puri is the sauce they are served in.  It's a fiery yet sweet sauce with
>a red colour and is quite delicious.
>
>The dish was served as an appetiser.

Bhuna or bhoona:
According to Dharamjit Singh in his book "Indian Cookery", bhoona means
"frying" - it is used for meats and vegetables.

Sukha bhoona is simple sauteeing seasoned with spices crushed into a paste
and rubbed into the meat.

Dumned bhoona is pot roasting. The meat may be marinated or rubbed with
aromatics, then seared, moistened, and cooked in a tightly closed pot.

Ard bhoona is dry pot roasting, using butter only with no liquid or
marinade. "The meat is first seared, then placed in a heavy casserole and
drenched with butter. The lid is closed tightly and cooking completed in
the oven. More butter is added during cooking."

Puri:
Puri is deep-fried whole-wheat bread.  Indian flat bread is quite delicious
this way - it puffs out because of the expanding air in the middle and
served immediately after being cooked, puris stay puffed even in the bread
basket.

No recipes were called Shrimp or Prawn Bhoona. The closest i saw is a
Shrimp Masala recipe which is cooked by the bhoona technique (and was not
at all sweet). But most of the shrimp recipies i came across in the 10
Indian cookbooks i consulted (all by Indians, and 7 are actually printed in
India for Indians) are either grilled or cooked with yogurt sauce.

But just to share, since we are speaking of cross-temporal and
cross-cultural foods...

from:
     "Regional Indian Recipes (for Newly-Weds)"
     by Rachel Muthachen
     Jaico Publishing House
     Bombay

a *Western* recipe to impress your husband

Macaroni Fish Pie

1/2 kilo fish, filleted
1 cup cut macaroni
3 large onions, sliced fine
1 cm. cube fresh ginger, minced
2 green chillies, sliced fine
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

Sauce
2 or 3 eggs
2-1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup grated cheese [NOTE: no clue what kind]
1/2 teaspoon made mustard
1/2 teaspoon pepper powder [ground pepper, i presume]
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Wash, clean, and cut the fish in 4 cm X 2 cm X 1 cm pieces. Cook in 1/2
water with sliced onion, ginger, green chillies,  vinegar, and salt until
all the water dries up. Cook the macaroni separately in plenty of salt
water until tender. Drain and keep aside.

2. Take out the fish slices as carefully as possible and arrange a layer in
a pie dish. Then put a layer of macaroni over it. Put alf the quantity of
onion, ginger and green chilies from the fish over it. Arrange the
remaining fish and macaroni this way. Top with the remaining onion, ginger
and green chillies.

3. Beat the eggs well. Add milk, cheese, mustard, pepper and salt. Beat
again. Pour over the fish and macaroni. The sauce should completely cover
it.

4. Bake in an oven at 350° F. until the egg is set and the top golden
brown. Serve hot.

So, since this is a Western recipe, how many of you have made this before
or had your moms serve it to you? Is this the Indian equivalent of
tuna-noodle casserole?

Another delightful Western recipe is for "Breakfast Baps", to be served
with bacon and eggs. Anyone heard of this? Reading, it sounds like biscuits.

Other "Western" recipes include Chicen Pie, Dinner Rolls, Chocolate Cream
Fingers, and Cheese Toast. Everything else is very definitely Indian, and
each recipe is identified by region.

I just liked the idea of another culture's interpretation of Western food,
since we just got a recipe with was a Western invention based on South or
Southeast Asian food...

Happy eating,
Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi