SC - Cottage cheese-OOP

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jun 21 03:45:42 PDT 1999

hi all from Anne-Marie

We are asked to help scale up the following recipe...
>1.5 pounds (700g) of boneless shoulder or leg of lamb
>3 medium-large onions
>3 cups (3/4 litre) beef broth
>1 heaping tablespoon lard
>4 tablespoons chopped parsley
>5 to 6 leaves fresh sage
>1/4 teaspoon mace
>1 tablespoon fresh chopped hyssop (or substitue 2 teaspoons mint)

I would suggest:
- -->1/4-1/3 lb of meat per person (assuming they're getting a bunch of sides
dishes too? if there's another meat dish, make it 1/5-1/4 lb). You said
this recipe fed TWO? That's 3/4 lb of meat per person??0
- -->onions never multiply up right, you always end up with too much, but
they're cheap so extras to give away as door prizes isnt a big deal :)
- -->fats and liquids never multiply up right either. I suggest you put your
meat in a pot, use just enough lard to brown it (I assume that's what its
for), and add broth to cover (again assuming that's what its for). Straight
multiplication will give you the MAXIMUM you'll need, just be sure
enthusiastic unskilled labor doesnt just follow what's written down without
guidance from someone who has cooked in bulk before. Otherwise you'll
likely end up with meat swimming in lard and way too much liquid in your stew.
- -->spices and other flavorings rarely multiply up right. Get the freshest
stuff you can, from the bulk bins, or some mail order company. Start with
half the amount called for in the expanded recipe. Let it stew a while and
taste. Get someone else to taste it, too. Adjust as needed, remembering
that many flavors take time to blend, and different lots of spices will
have different strengths.

hope this helps!

- --AM