SC - Cottage cheese-OOP

Rayne and Richard PRIDEelectric at centuryinter.net
Mon Jun 21 08:10:55 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Wow!....Australians must be really HEARTY eaters if this recipe only made
> enough for 2 people. :-)
>
> When scaling this up I would think 6 people for this amount of meat (one and
> a half pounds). If using the recipe for home use think 4 to six people with a
> starch and 2 side dishes plus dessert.
>
> Ras

Possibly, but one might want to consider the "There's been some
_shrinkage_!!!" factor. I might figure on the original recipe as maybe
serving three good-sized portions, but you do usually end up with just
over half your original uncooked meat mass by the time it is cooked,
especially if shoulder is used. Now, you still end up with a good amount
of stew, because the total mass of pottage doesn't shrink in proportion
to the meat as it cooks, so it might be a perception issue. A wonderful
bowl of stew with an oniony-herby gravy is a sublime thing, but if what
you're expecting is a bowl of meat, you might be disappointed. Or not,
as the case may be, but that might be one point to consider.

I'd go with (realizing this is not strictly in accordance with the
Redon, et al, recipe)

40# stewing lamb
30# onions
20 quarts beef _or_ chicken stock, or a mixture
Lard - some. Buy a pound and see if you need it all.
1-2 pounds, maybe 4-6 bunches flat parsley (no such thing as too much)
75 - 100 leaves fresh sage (you're going to want to add them at the end
anyway... might as well follow AM's advice and be discreet with them at
first; you can add more later if you need it, although sage, when fresh,
is a forgiving herb)
2.5 Tbs, 5/8 ounce, ~20 grams mace (see above; add some and then adjust
to taste)
2 cups, 1/2 litre volume, chopped fresh hyssop

HTH,

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy