SC - BrusselsSprouts

Heather Payton tamamsk at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 22 18:29:24 PDT 1999

Greetings,

I'm interested in trying my hand at making some wafers. I've heard
them talked about before on this list and I have somehow volunteered
to cook lunch for our Royalty next Candlemas. The info I have collected
is now in this file in the FOOD-BREAD section of my Florilegium for
those that might be interested:
wafers-msg        (13K)  6/11/99    Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.

Anyway, a few questions:
1) Any idea where I would find a pizzelle maker or other similar wafer
iron? I've wondered if a tortilla press would work. If it would, then
it might be possible to cut the baronial or kingdom arms or other design
into it.

2) I have found a few mentions and I think a recipe in the cookbooks
I have here at home. Does anyone have any wafer recipes that they have
found have worked well? Or even some pointers to recipes in various
cookbooks might be helpful. As I'm going to Pennsic I might be able
to buy them there or by mail. I'm primarily interested in savory
wafers vs. sweet wafers since I think those were more prevalent in
medieval cooking vs. renaissance cooking, but I'm open to suggestions.
Also, there are plenty of wafer-like modern cookies around and savory
wafers would be different and something I haven't seen done around
here.

3) Any other suggestions or comments on cooking lunches for Royalty
or small groups would be welcome.

Thanks.
   Stefan
- --