SC - BrusselsSprouts

Tue Jun 22 04:31:06 PDT 1999

Since Belgium was established in 1831, I doubt Brussel Sprouts were grown in
that country in the Middle Ages.  Root states the Belgians (members of said
tribe) were growing them around 1200.  IIRC, Belgium at the time was part of
Burgundy.  Also, according to Root, Brussel sprouts did not appear in
England until the 19th Century.  This would make the identification of
"minces" as Brussel sprouts questionable.

Again, IIRC, they are probably of Mediterranean origin and were fairly
common in the Germanic states in period, where they were known as Rosenkohl
(rose cabbage).

Bear