SC - Scaling up recipes?

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 22 06:00:27 PDT 1999

>From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
>To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
>Subject: Re: SC - Scaling up recipes?
>Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:10:35 -0400
>
>LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 6/21/99 2:48:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> > rygbee at montana.com writes:
> >
> > << The above sauce is enough for one chicken. >>
> >
> > So what your saying is that if you make this recipe in 2 different pots
> > exactly the same and serve it from the individual pots you will have
>enough
> > sauce in each pot for each chicken BUT that if you combine the 2 pots
>you
> > will have more sauce than you need?
> >
> > Ras

Perhaps not when you are simply doubling a recipe.  But when working with
multiples large enough that you pull out the big baronial hip bath sized
pots, that's a different story.  If you make 10 times as much in one big
pot, the changes caused by the difference in evaporation can have you ending
up with "too much" sauce.  You can get around this by starting with less
liquid and tasting and adjusting, or by using 2 or 3 not quite as huge pots.
  If I have the burner space, I prefer this.

>In general, or maybe in a theoretical sense, I'm inclined to agree with
>Ras, repeating the mantra "All Other Things Being Equal".
but,
>All Other Things Are Not Always Equal.

>As for spices, I still think the biggest problem is that many people
>have a hard time multiplying 1/4 tsp by 200, and end up seeing that >they
>need approximately one cup of something, and go on to buy eight >ounces of
>it, because everyone knows a cup weighs eight ounces. >
Yeah, that cinnamon is gonna be pungent, all right!

this is what might effect the onion measurement too.  The apple tart I made
needed 3 apples.  I tried cutting and weighing that so to figure out how
much apples to buy.  We ended up with at two 5 lb bags of apples unused, and
enough unused apple filling to make pastries for breakfast. I think the
problem came from trying to guesstimate the effects of the apples I was
buying for feast being so much smaller than the apples I had cut.  I
expected relatively more waste per pound and bought extra.  Since there
would have been extra even if I'd stuck with the mathmatically correct
amount, that doesn't answer the whole problem.