SC - Scaling up recipes?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Jun 22 08:07:47 PDT 1999

Good Morning All,

Well, the King's College event finally came and gone. I did manage to
teach my class
on sauces but found out that Baroness Clarissa, a lady we are going to
make a Laurel
primarily for her cookery, had almost the same class as I did on period
cooking. So
we decided to just join forces and teach the one class. Unfortunately
her class was
schedueled one hour before my sauce class and I spent the time doing
prep work
in the kitchen.

The sauce class was actually pretty popular. I had around 10 people
crammed in the
kitchen which made things interesting because I had to run from my work
table to the
blender to the stove to the sink and through all of these people.
Because I was trying
to get so many examples of sauces cooked it was a rather slap-dash
Galloping
Gormet type of class. At least the students appeared to enjoy my antics.
Thankfully
I had a squire and lady-in-waiting who also attended the class and wound
up stirring
sauces and rinsing out pans for me.

I gave handouts with the complete recipes and notes so it was okay if
things seemed
a bit rushed.

For the class I had prepared in advance a ground mustard and a honey
mustard. Both
of these were very popular even though they were still a bit young.

In class I prepared:

Sauce Robert
A Syrup of Wine for Leg of Pork
Sauce Aliper
Black Sauce (Which was very popular and is now dubbed "Liver Goo". But
even Sara liked it.)
Garlic-Pepper Sauce
Cameline Sauce

I also gave a quick demo of various period spices. I showed the
difference between cassia
and true cinnamon, had samples of verjuice, grains of paradise, cubebs,
galengale
and gave a recipe for poudre forte.

To show how simple these sauces and mustards were I jammed as many in as
I could in an
hour. I also provided roast chicken, pork and beef to be dipped in them
for comparisons.

That night we put all of the sauces and mustards on the sideboard for
the diners. The sauces
didn't get eaten a lot but I feel that was because people didn't know
what they were for and
I was sitting in a Laurel's Circle at the time. But my ground mustard
that I expected to have
for years was nearly totally gone. There were a lot of clear sinuses
that night.

Also to show that these were not rare recipes I only used two sources
for my recipes, "Take A
Thousand Eggs or More" and "Pleyn Delit".

Now if I just attend a feast and see one of "my" sauces featured I will
have my real reward.

Other news from King's College, Ld. Bear taught a couple of classes in
bread baking and krapfen
making. There were several brewing and mead classes. Baroness Clarissa
taught classes in
period cooking and basic feast preparation. There is talk from the group
about hosting a Cooks
Collegium at the site sometime.

Yours,

Gunthar