SC - Book opinions

Wed Jun 23 04:53:26 PDT 1999

> The Food Chronology : A Food Lover's Compendium of Events and
>
>        Anecdotes, from Prehistory to the Present ~ James Trager / Henry
> Holt
> (Paper) / June 1997

Timeline.  Useful for establishing a general progression of events. Broad
but shallow.  There are inaccuracies and misstatements.  No bibliography,
very limited source references.  Trager tends to be sloppy about
scholarship.

> Six Thousand Years of Bread : Its Holy and Unholy History (The Cook's
> Classic
> Library) ~ Heinrich Eduard Jacob, Lynn Alley / The Lyons Press / September
> 1997

If you are into the history of bread, this is a good book.  No recipes.

> All Manners of Food : Eating and Taste in England and France from the
> Middle
> Ages to the Present ~ Stephen Mennell / Univ of Illinois Pr (Trd) /
> November
> 1995

	A general history.  Limited coverage of SCA period.  IIRC, this is
where I came across the quote which equated Piers collops to steak.  No
recipes.

> A Taste of Ancient Rome ~ Ilaria Gozzini Giacosa, Anna Herklotz
> (Translator) /
> Univ of Chicago Pr (Trd) / March 1994

Interesting read.  Good recipes giving original, translation and redaction.
Recipes are from a number of sources including Apicius.

Bear