SC - Book opinions

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com
Thu Jun 24 04:06:01 PDT 1999

Well, you got most of them ...
Of course there are all kinds of regional varities but I´ve chosen the
version that corresponds most closely to the recipe in the book I´m quoting
from (Recipes from Scotland by F. Marian McNeill, first published in 1946)
and sometimes added comments from the book.

>> >Bawd Bree
>Brown Hare Soup/Stew.
With liver, lungs, blood, etc.

>> >Blawn Whitings
>salted ,dried fish dried in the wind (blawn-blown)
But only partly dried, for 1-3 days, according to size.

>> >Broonie
>Thick bannock-like oatmeal gingerbread
>
>> >Brose
>This just means broth or pottage. Could be anything from oatmeal
>porridge to a more involved soup or even a rather tipsy oatmeal-cream
dessert.
This is the description given in the book: "Put a gowpen of home-milled meal
(as much as you can lift between your palms) into a timmer caup (wooden
bowl) or porringer, with a little salt, and pour over it enough boiling
water to wet it thoroughly. Stir it up (the ploughman used to use the shank
of a horn spoon) and allwo it to stand for a few minutes by the fireside to
let the meal swell. Sup with a mug of new milk." There is also a description
of Yule Brose, where "the fatty top of the beef bree is stirred into the
meal."

>> >Cabbie claw
> cod, in a cream/hardboiled egg sauce.

First it is salted and left to hang in the open air for 48 hours or more,
"according to the degree of highness desired".

>> >Carageen Mould
Agar or other seaweed-thickened pudding, more or less, made with milk,
>turned out of a mold.
The version in the book is from the Hebrides and has dried caragheen, milk,
egg (optional), sugar and flavouring "if you do not like the sea flavour".

>> >Car-cakes
>fried bannocks (oatmeal cakes)
The name comes from Anglo-Saxon "keren", to toss - these are simply oatmeal
pancakes.

>> >Clapshot
>Tatties an' neeps, bashit together.
>
>> >Clootie Dumpling
>As I recall, a plum pudding variant, named after the cloth it's boiled in.
[Clootie or Cloutie = Cloth]

>> >Crappit heids
>haddock heads and haddock livers with oatmeal
And the heads are stuffed with the liver-oatmeal mixture, then boiled.

>> >Cream Crowdie or Cranachan

>NUTTY TOASTED OATMEAL , RIPE BLACK BRAMBLES ,
>HONEY, WHISKEY, CREAM YUM

>> >Crowdie
>soft cottage cheese.
>
>> >Cullen Skink
>Smoked Haddock soup.
>
>> >Feather Fowlie
>chicken and ham soup
>
>> >Finnan Haddie
>Smoked Haddock, traditionally caught and smoked in and around Findon,
>near Aberdeen. Traditionally smoked in seaweed, now in peat
>
>> >Forfar Bridies
>Cornish pasties, more or less.
>
>> >Hattit Kit
>A syllabub variant.
"Carry the vessel to the side of a cow and milk into it 1 pint of milk. Stir
well together. At the next milking, add another pint ..." But this does not
seem to be a syllabub, as the curd is placed on a hair sieve, then put into
a mould.

>> >Hodgils
>Oatmeal dumplings, kinda like coarse gnocchi.
>
>> >Kail Brose
>Kale and oat soup.
With "a piece of Ox Head or a Cow Heel or a piece of Hough", according to
the book.

>> >Krappin and Stap
>????

>From the Shetlands. Stap is boiled haddock livers, mixed with the flesh from
boiled haddock heads, and served with the boiled fish. Krappin is fish liver
stuffing; a mixture of liver and oatmeal used to stuff either the muggie
(stomach) or the head of the fish (the muggie version is very popular over
here too).

>> >Lang Kail
>another word for kale, usually boiled
>
>> >Mealie Pudding
>boiled oatmeal pudding usually stuffed in sausage skins
AKA White Pudding. With suet and onions. "Will keep for months if hung up or
kept dry, or better, buried in oatmeal in the girnel or meal chest."

>> >Parlies
>ginger biscuits
Short for Parliament Cakes.

>> >Partan Bree
>crab soup
>
>> >Partan Pie (not a pie at all)
A crab that is boiled, the meat mixed with breadcrumbs, vinegar and mustard,
and served in its own shell, sometimes browned under the grill (broiled to
you Americans) - the old way was to heat a shovel and hold it over the pie.

>> >Potted Hough
> Beef shank, simmered until nearly disintegrated, cooled and gelled in
pots. Potted beef

>> >Rizzared haddies
>broiled ,salted and floured haddock

But partly sun-dried first, for two or three days. (We do this also here in
Iceland but we just boil the haddocks.)

>> >Rumbledethumps
>A cabbage-mashed potato dish similar to Colcannon.
>
>> >Sillocks
>YOUNG COALFISH/COLEY
"Sillock-eating at the kitchen table dispenses with knives and fork. You
lift a sillock gently between thumb and forefinger, snip off the tail, press
the plump sides, and the backbone shoots forth! The delicious morsel left -
hot, crisp oatmeal and sweet melting fish - you eat on buttered bere bread,
a darkly brown, flatly sour scone."

>> >Skirlie
>Yum! A slightly dryish oatmeal "pilaf" with onions, a little like kasha
"may be served as an accompaniment to minced steak, roast grouse, etc. In
cottage homes it is often served as a main dish, with a border of creamed
potatoes."

>> >Sowans
"... the miller always sent with it a bag of "sids" - the inner husks of the
oat grain - to which adhere some of the finest and most nutritive substance
of the meal. This was made into a kind of smooth pudding or gruel called
sowans - an ancient dish of Celtic origin."

>> >Stovies
>A baked casserole of sliced potato, meat, and onion, in layers. Eaten,
>oddly enough, as an accompaniment to other meat dishes.
>-OR-
>Herring fried in a coating of - surprise - oatmeal. Sometimes small
>mackerel, I believe.
>Depends on where in Scotland you are.

>Stovies- potatoes with onion
There is a recipe for chicken stovies in the book, and stoved grouse, but
the one that is called just "stovies" is simply potatoes, peeled and sliced,
put in a pan with salt, butter and a small amount of water to prevent
burning, covered closely and simmered for about 45 minutes. Onions are
sometimes added to the potatoes.

>> >White Collops
>Hmmm. Nowadays a sort of hash made of chopped or ground red meat, often
>with onions, in gravy. Formerly almost any meat, so I wonder if white
>collops are made from veal or chicken, and/or are in a white sauce
Yes, veal cut in half-inch slices, browned nicely and cooked in stock
flavoured with lemon rind and mushroom ketchup. In the old days oysters and
mushrooms were added, it says.

Hope you enjoyed it ...

Nanna