SC - ulp! I've been volunteered

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com
Thu Jun 24 07:10:39 PDT 1999

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> There is an Italian dessert where sweetened marscapone (a type of cream
> cheese) is forced into a rolled wafer.  IIRC, I have seen a reference to
> this in relation to the 18th Century being prepared as a conical tube
> referred to as a cone.

Presumably a relative of cannoli, which is generally stuffed with
ricotta sweetened with confectioner's sugar, forming something like a
buttercream, much smoother than you might expect.

> The sugar cone has a sealed point which makes it an actual cone rather than
> a conic section.  The above article while probably precisely correct, leaves
> a lot of slack as it does not define the term cone.

True, but it may simply be a question of intent. For example, I remember
as a child part of the fun of a sugar cone was that it clearly was
supposed to be a cone, rather than a conic section, but in the end they
still almost invariably leaked. Nowadays the point is sometimes patched
with a dab of chocolate.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy