SC - Capers

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Thu Jun 24 13:02:54 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Jessica Tiffin <jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za>
>A kind friend just gave this to me for my birthday.  It has hordes
>of the most _wonderful_ pictures - reproductions of medieval
>originals, not only people feasting, but  utensils, both cooking and
>eating, kitchens, cooks at work, merchants selling food, etc, .  I
>haven't had time to look through the text more than briefly, but it
>seems to be geared more to a general cultural overview than to
>specific recipes.  Lovely chapters on food sources, what was grown,
>etc, and on feasts, upper and lower class eating habits, etc.

Melisant it is indeed worth the read. One rainy afternoon I picked it
up just to leaf through it and ended up reading it from cover to
cover, having a really hard time putting it down. The book actually
had several surprises (like a banana in a garbage dump does) and I
learned alot from it. It is not very cerebral and is an easy read. I
am now tackling All Manners of Food and because of my CFS I am finding
it a little more challenging....not a book to just whip through but
worth it nonetheless.

Micaylah
- -hi I'm back-